Thursday, August 04, 2005

Okay, that's it!

As Savannah and I were watching Sesame Street I got to thinking. She was so cuddly there on my lap about ready to fall asleep for her afternoon nap I started to tell myself, "What am I doing working all the time? I am missing out on this. I don't want to be a working mom any more. Or at least not a full time one." It's been really nice these past couple of days of being home with the kids that remind me what being a mom is really about. Oh sure, we could tighten our buckles and simply live off of 1 1/12 incomes I'm sure, we've done it for a short time before. But I also enjoy having a career, something I can take pride in. I am starting like the seniority I am finally getting. I just had my 5 year anniversary. After 5 years you start to accrue more vacation time and is a landmark toward years of service. I want us to have a good retirement also by being able to contribute towards it. So you tell me if there is a job out therre that is part time with full benefits that you can also call a "career?"

I found this part time secretarial job for the city which I live in. I'm wondering what kind of benefits they have. I'm wondering if we could really scrimp for me to work there since the pay would be less per hour and half the hours I am working now even though I wouldn't be using so much gas to get there. I'm wondering what I would be giving up in my "career." I feel too old to be a stay at home mom, yet I feel so young that I have so much more to gain by working. If that makes any sense at all, I don't know, but days like these make me really miss being just "mom." And when I did work part-time, it was great. I had time to breathe. One day at work, one day off. I guess if Charlie and I become serious about this opportunity, we'll have to put our thinking hats on and analyze it all. Funny thing is though, I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it since he's so busy at work. What to do?

No comments: