Tuesday, September 13, 2005

C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

One of my favorite things in this world is chocolate chip cookies, that with a cold glass of milk. Mmmm, nothing better. So I'm told I make a good chocolate chip cookie. Well not to boast or brag, but I do like my chocolate chip cookies too. But what's not to like about them and any other cookie made by any other person? So sugary and chocolatey all warm and gooey fresh out of the oven?

I wanted to share with you my recipe which isn't a recipe at all, it's just my way of making the cookies and since people are always asking me how I get them to come out so well, I thought I would share what I do. The trick for me is to use butter flavored Crisco in stead of real butter or margarine. Real butter and margarine cook differently so I think that makes a big difference.
I had plenty of help from Jake and my husband eating the dough, Michael eating the fresh baked cookies, and as you can see from Savannah cleaning up. Usually the broom wins these fights since she is so little.

Tammy's chocolate chip cookies:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Using a regular chocolate chip recipe off the back of any baking product, I take the eggs, sugars, and butter flavored crisco and cream them together with a hand mixer until smooth.
Next mix in the salt, baking soda, and vanilla.

Finally I add the flour to this mixture. I don't add exactly what the recipe calls for, I just add 1/3 cup at a time until it looks like it's at the right consistency. Doing only a small amount at a time makes it easier to blend in. I use the hand mixer at first making sure flour is mixed in evenly after each time I add it. When it gets too thick for the mixer, I then switch to a wooden spoon and keep adding the flour 1/3 cup at a time until it is at a good form, sticky so that it sticks together, but not gooey on your fingers that you can't drop it onto the cookie sheet.
Then I mix in the bag of chips. Take a spoon and form the dough into dropfuls onto a silver air bake/aluminum cookie sheet. Not sure what they are called, but they work better than the dark pans.

Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven for about 13 minutes or until there is browning starting to form on the cookie. I alternate between two cookie sheets so there is a batch in the oven the whole time. I let them cool about 5 mins while the other pan is cooking and then start all over until the dough is gone.

When they are cool enough, put in an air tight container or sealable sandwich baggies. This will help keep them soft.










The tops of the cookies should have a few spots starting to brown telling you they are ready!

Sesame Street has started having Cookie Monster advertise eating vegetables. When I was kid watching the show I never got the impression to pig out on a bunch of cookies from watching him do it. Or did I? Maybe that explains my love for these cookies? Hmmmm...we might have something here. Cookies are a sometimes food? Do these people think that parents allow their kids to eat cookies whenever they want? Maybe some parents do, but Sesame Street shouldn't feel liable for the kids eating habits just from watching the show. Check this post out...

No comments: