Saturday, September 24, 2005

Dad's Chili Verde

I'm finally going to try my hand at Dad's chili verde tomorrow for breakfast. Since mom brought so many chilies last week for our salsa, I can't let them go to waste. But it's sad to know they weren't planted with Dad's hard working hand so I think of it like this, they were still grown in his soil which still make them his. Dad would roast the chilies, peel and seed them, then he would make his verde sauce, add some pork and seasonings and serve with his famous fried potatoes and warm tortillas aside huevos. One of my best memories of spending time with my dad during the last decade is peeling the chilies with him. As I was roasting and peeling them tonight, the scent that brought warm feelings gave me a smile on my face letting me know that he was right there with me. I hope it turns out just like his. Just like the way I'll always remember.

No comments: