Thursday, September 08, 2005

I'm such a GEEK!

Take some advice from me, if you are working around new people or will be, give them a chance to get to know you before you make jokes. Obviously my joking style is subtle and people don't always recognize it, so I should have known when to keep my mouth shut in front of my soon-to-be supervisor. Yesterday I was invited to the office where I will be transferred to for an accounts payable training for our the new imaging payment system. Well needless to say, I thought I made a funny in reference to something she was saying. Turns out she took it serious. We were talking about the process of approvals and she used the example speaking for herself, "I will approve this at this time and yada yada," so I say, "Wow. Sounds like you'll be a busy woman." (Meaning that she will be approving all of the accounts payables for the whole state, but knowing that she wasn't it was supposed to be a joke. I'm not that dumb!) Then she saids, "There will be more than one person approving transactions." Duh, I knew that all along! So it must have been the way I said it...ugh.

I'm such a blockhead. My soon-to-be new boss is actually very nice even though she is a very sharp woman, she does not come across as condescending as a lot of people who are smart do. She seems to have good managing skills and listens to your point of view, but then again I haven't really worked for her. I guess cause one of her staff suggested to me that she is and can be hilarious, that I thought she'd know I wasn't being serious. But like I said, takes people to get to know you.

So now I'm thinking maybe I will fit into this new accounting group I will be working with soon, dry humor and all. You know what they say birth control is for accountants? Their personality!

No comments: