Monday, September 19, 2005

Organization a Must

It's funny how stuff comes about throughout the day makes you think about things. I was training a co-worker on some of the duties he'll be taking over when I leave to work for the Finance Office. As I was handing the information over to him he seemed to be overwhelmed with how organized I had kept things. He stated, "You are so organized. I need you to come and work on some of my stuff." I laughed and told him my husband had just said the same thing to me but not five minutes earlier. Coincidentally, he and my husband happen to be in the same type of job. Aside from the point that the industry of faciilities management expects too much paperwork to be done on top of keeping the building running and the staff happy with their offices, is that I came to the conclusion that organization skills and motherhood go hand in hand.

Being a mom is like a full time job. You have deadlines to meet, tasks to delegate, supervision of staff, budgeting and accounting duties, appointment making, and most of all you coordinate team building exercises like no one else. In some essences mothers have an advantage to being organized for these reasons. I mean don't get me wrong, organization skills take good practice, a little disciplining, and some OCD tendencies, but if a person isn't put in the situation to manage something like that they may not thrive on it the way we moms do. It's hard work to be organized and if you've been doing it as long as I have it tends to become second nature. I just hope that when I leave my coworkers, there are not strings untied and things aren't left "undone." I think the aim for my goal this week is to be able to look behind me and know things were taken care of leaving a good impression with the staff who are staying behind.

No comments: