Friday, March 31, 2006

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!

He's the birthday boy!

Michael is 17 today, woo hoo! It's hard for me to let this sink in since I was only a year younger than this when he was born. The fact he hasn't done the bad things I did at his age is an accomplishment because I know I got off on the wrong track and it took me for a long ride. Being a teenager is hard and there are so many wrong decisions and friends that can be made that can steer you in all kinds of directions.

I took the day off today so we could go get his drivers license. I'm proud of him for this because it took a lot more than just going to the class and getting a passing grade. He had to really work for it by keeping his grades up in all classes and has proved himself to be responsible enough to drive!

He chose to have a few friends spend the night and play XBox and eat subs, drink Coke, munch away on chips, cake, ice cream, and other various junk foods. So you can guess what my night will be like, eh? I hope it will be fun for him and will post some pics later.

17 years ago you couldn't tell from looking at the back of me that I was pregnant with this little boy that did not want to come out! I was only 102 lbs. when I got pregnant, so you can just imagine what I looked like. Michael was two weeks past his due date and as comfy as could be where he was. We waited and waited with no signs of labor, the doctor finally decided it was getting to be too long to wait any longer. Any longer than two weeks when it is a first baby can be very risky.

I went to the hospital the evening of March 30th where they induced me at about 7:00 pm but things didn't start really taking effect until midnight. I was only dialated at a 2 when I they started it which made things progress slowly. Pains would come and go but I they weren't bad at first and when they got worse, I had an epidural. I was scared but mostly excited. I had my mom in the labor room with me as my support since she had already done this 7 times before and 6 of those 7 were without anesthesia! My ex-husband was there too, but to tell you the truth I don't really remember a whole lot of him other than his sleeping most of the night and rushing off right afterward to go home to sleep some more.

Around 5 in the morning I finally dialated to a 7 and then stopped. We didn't know why, but after stripping the membrane some more and the nurse pushing on my belly, he finally was born at 6:40 A.M. That's when we found Michael had a square knot around his neck that was keeping him from moving in the birth canal. The doctor took one look and chuckled saying, "Looks like we have a boy scout!" I'm glad everything went okay cause if the cord would have gotten any tighter around his neck, he may not have been here today.

Michael weighed 7 lbs and 14 oz. and was 21 inches. (Now he's 6' and 140 lbs!) He would not breast feed for the life of him! That kid only wanted a bottle and nothing else for the next year. He wouldn't eat baby food or anything! Just his bottle. And the nipple had to be practically falling apart before he would use it...talk about lazy! Other than that, he was the easiest baby to care for. Too easy in fact. What did I learn as a teen mother from him other than having a cute baby that people "oohed" and "awwed" over was fun? He cried with his mouth shut and only when he got really hungry. He was so content and happy, I was very lucky.

He's still a quiet kid, seems to be content, but outgrew that bottle thing! You should see him eat! Happy Birthday Michael!

No comments: