Wednesday, March 29, 2006

To write or not to write?

So I've been working on writing my "success" story for the Workforce Professionals Conference I told you I was invited to, right? Well, I've come to find that I hate doing this because of three reasons:

1st - I am sick of the story and having to write it again because I lost the electronic version I had really sucks (But I will add that I'm a much better writer than I was four years ago.)

2nd - I don't like talking about myself.

3rd - What makes me so special? As I was walking to my car to go home from work yesterday, I was thinking, "If there were a pool of people to choose from to represent Workforce Services at this conference that also have related success stories, they wouldn't choose me. There are far better out there if they took the time to find them. I am just the most accessible since I work here and the first person that pops in people's minds. I haven't accomplished any more than anyone else, really. Others that never make mistakes or only minor ones should be commended more than people like me who failed time and time again in life."

You ask, "What is this story all about?" Well, I told you it was about me being a former client living on welfare, right? So, it's about a lot of bad things that happened to me and how I got back on my feet only it's themed around how I succeeded with the help of the government agency I work for called Workforce Services.

But instead of discounting my experience with all those thoughts, I should relish in the fact that someone is interested in what I went through in life and how I came out of it. If I hadn't, what would my life be worth writing about? And as I write it, I find it's good to reflect back on how I suffered and struggled. My life now may not be full of hardship so what better way to remember what hardship was in order to appreciate what I have today? Best of all, this whole thing has made me want to start my auto-biograpy. Only thing is, when I think about it, it blows my mind away and I become so overwhelmed that I don't even want to start. But I am inspired to nonetheless. It will be better to now than to wait until I'm old and have a bad memory so I will make it one of my goals and even post the chapters here on my blog as I finish them.

Since you all know I had my first child at age 16, that should be a clue where the battle started for me in making many wrong choices in life that followed much later inlcuding abuse of drugs, addiction to alcohol, and codependency. So my story is actually a lot more than about being on welfare and how the government helped me and that is why I need to write about it.

No comments: