Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanksgiving Weekend

Our feast with mom was grand - what Thanksgiving dinner isn't? Next year I'm offering to have it at my house and plan to do just as much. I can't imagine having it at a restaraunt or somewhere other than family and I can't imagine not having tons of food otherwise, what's the point of giving thanks?

Our prime rib roast turned out great only it didn't get done at the same time as the turkey. I didn't get to eat as much as I had wanted to (probably from my dieting?) nor did I think about bringing dishes to take leftovers home so luckily since we bought our own turkey while they were on sale I can soon have more. Savannah didn't eat well at all. She would have done better had I brought her high chair and kept the olives out of reach plus I think she was antsy with all that was going on. My husband never eats a lot or finishes his plate for dinner in the first place so it was no surprise when he didn't all that he took. My boys ate two dinners, one with their other grandma and one with us. They're still complaining that they are full!

Friday we chose our tree, it's pretty close to perfect. I love the smell of pine in the house and the shadows it casts on our walls when the lights are on at night. I think I'm finally ready for Christmas now and can you believe I'm ready for a big snow storm to finish off my Christmas mood?

So as an afterthought of our lovely weekend, I'm finding I'm puzzled about a few food items in relation to Thanksgiving...

1. Why must the cranberries be in such a large can? Why isn't there a miniature can for those parties that only have one person who wants them? How much cranberries really get thrown away for this very reason?

2. Why don't gravy mixes actually make gravy? You'd have to buy 5 mixes in order to thicken it to the right consistency and if you did that it would taste icky! And what is the purpose of having gravy once it's been ruined it with stale corn starch?

3. Why does my husband insist that I make a certain type of pie and then not eat any of it? This year it was peach, the last two were blueberry. No more asking, from now on it will strictly be my favorites, pumpkin and cherry.

4. Did I miss something or does it seem that every year the one thing that does not get offered to people to take home as a leftover is the pumpkin pie?

5. Isn't the point of having a relish tray to keep you from dying of hunger while the kitchen smells of beautiful brown-skinned turkey? After all how can you eat off a relish tray when you have a plate full of food in front of you.

Hope you all had a good one. Back to work tomorrow. Ahh well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had three pumpkin pies. I forgot to give you one. I have more pumpkin and plan to make more pies. New Years Eve sounds like a good time to have them or maybe Christmas Eve or Christmas day.

Mom

Becca said...

Can I come to your house for dinner next year??? :-)

Becca

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a great Holiday!

I made our relish tray, and I sat right next to it all night LOL i munched and munched and munched LOL I ate what I wanted at dinner, just not as much as normal!


OH and I hit 25 down! WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to take my flannel shirt off but I did it LOL (lucky for the meeting I had a tank on under it LOL)

Unknown said...

I'm sure the amount of wasted cranberries would feed an entire country in Africa. :-)

meg said...

Afraid I can answer about the cranberry sauce- I make my own & have to do double batches 'cause we all love it.
As for the pie- don't you know leftover pie is great for drive-by snacking & breakfast? I never share!