Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Leaves are turning...

I can't believe we are approaching fall in the next few days. I mean the nights are chilly and the mornings are even more chilly. I can handle the days alright but already I am getting cold off and on throughout the day that I have had to wear my jacket. Like all autumns here in Utah, this one too will be a short one. Soon there will be snow on the ground. I just hope it stays decent until Halloween at least.

Speaking of Halloween, Savannah just can't get enough of her costume. She wants to wear it and play with it and show it to everyone, even passing neighbors on the street. She says, "You want to come see my room? You want to some see my costume?" This year she is going to be a princess. She calls her crown a "queen" and her magic wand a "bippidee boppedee" (I know princesses don't have magic wands but I couldn't resist getting it.) The dress is a little big for her but I planned that on purpose so it will last for more than Halloween since she loves to dress up.

Also speaking of Halloween, what is every one's view point of it? I have recently been influenced that is not right to celebrate however I don't think that what our culture, or at least not mine, is celebrating is the original Halloween derived from a long time ago. I do not feel as that we are celebrating death or evil spirits. For me it is about celebrating autumn time with silly pumpkin decorations, dressing up to be someone you are not, and candy. The witches and skeletons really have and never will represent anything morbid or evil to me. I just can't imagine a child never to experience their childhood without trick or treating, can you? I suppose if they never have, they will never know, but with all the commotion on around them such as neighbors, schools, and in the stores, how can they not be engulfed and intrigued by it already? I dunno. And in addition to the controversy about Halloween, I also think it's okay to read and watch Harry Potter and that wizardry is hardly anything to worry about for hurting some one's faith in God. Guess either I'm not a true Christian or have never really been exposed to anything harmful enough from these things to feel or believe there is harm in them.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

We saw turning leaves today too and Ida got so excited.

Celebrating Halloween does not mean you aren't a true Christian!

We don't celebrate the holiday. But we love fall and do all kinds of fall activities.

But our weather just got warm again this weekend it's going up to 88! Summer needs to be over!

meg said...

I noticed that the trees around town are just starting to tip- a little blush is all, but that will change soon enough :P
I've never been comfortable celebrating Halloween & chose not to with our kids- partly because of the pagan overtones, but mostly the lawlessness & greed of the kids on sugar highs, & the danger associated with taking food from strangers. But then again, our Christmas had its origins in a pagan holiday- we've just "hijacked" it & made it a celebration of Christ's birth.
I think it's fine to turn it into something else- our church does a "Harvest Carnival" on that night, invites kids all over town to come in costume (but outlaws "scary" stuff) & passes our tons of candy. Dressing up is fun for all kids- stimulates the imagination- & focusing on the harvest season encourages gratitude for God's blessings.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy!! It was so great to hear from you. I have been a REALLY bad blogging buddy:( I cannot believe how much catching up I had to do here!

First I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your pictures of your yard and neighborhood. It is so pretty! I love your fence and all of your new trees. New homes are so nice aren't they:)

I also love your vacation pictures. I am from the midwest and have to admit I never thought about visiting Oregon but now I want to!! It looks so beautiful!

And finally I am so sorry that things are still not good with Michael. I know how hard this must be for you and you ARE doing the right thing by not allowing them both to come to your home. It would be so disruptive for your family. You as always continue to be in my prayers and I want you to know how happy I am for you that your life has turned out so well. I know you mention things from your past and I am so glad that you have healed, found love, and have such a wonderful family at home:) Take care~Missy

Oh and P.S.-I love Halloween too and don't relate it to the devil or anything evil! It's just fun!!

Anonymous said...

Hello there! I love Halloween. I've never really allowed myself or my children to think about it as "evil". It's fun to watch the excitement and choose what costume they want to wear this year. Of course the older one no longer goes trick or treating so I am referring to my younger one and my niece and nephew. lol

Take care,
Christina