Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Mom - Thanksgiving's 14 days of 14 blessings

#8 - I am thankful for my mom. My mom has been with me through some pretty tough times. I was not the smartest kid and ended up in a lot of predicaments well into the age of 27. She has helped me through teen pregnancy, teen marriage, finishing my high school, my first childbirth, my divorce, my drug problems, my mental problems, and my financial problems. I created a lot of hard struggles that didn't allow for us to grow or bond as we had the potential to. She was there and that counted for a lot.

The best times with my mother are of my relationship with her as a kid - it reminds me of mine and Savannah's relationship today. Savannah's smile just lights up the room when she sees me and the same for me to her. I remember feeling that way about my mom when I was little too. I think it is such a great blessing to have the comfort in your heart knowing that such a special person called mom was the one that takes care of you.

My fondest memories of mom as a kid were the baking she did, the smell in the house, the music she'd play on the stereo, her button container, her shoes that I would try on endlessly. I loved her hair and how it was so pretty with curls. I remember her jewelry and her perfume. My mom would encourage me to dance in the dark to her music on the record and would watch me as I pretended I was a ballerina.

She encouraged me to take tap lessons one day and as I hid behind the couch from the person at the door, I remember her giving me the choice to make my own decision. I don't know why I was so scared, but the fact that she gave me the choice has helped me realize that I am an independent person. She gave me the choice to keep my baby when it was found that I was pregnant at age 16 too. She always gave me options to make my own decisions.

Mom doesn't always show her love in an affectionate way (neither do I) but I know she loves me and I am still her little girl. That's all that matters. I am glad that she is in my life and that I am in hers only now we don't seem to need each other much and I admit it feels like something is missing. I hope to be better at spending more time with her next year as a resolution because I am very thankful for my mom.

2 comments:

riehle mom said...

I am Thankful for my mom. She has been a wonderful mom!

Rambling Rita said...

I love my kids and if I don't show my affection like I should it's because I am not very good at it. I try to help my kids in any way I can and I feel I have when I have given them some money, advice and encouragement. Sometimes if I don't show my affection, it may be because I am afraid of getting hurt like with my grandson. I love helping my family but it doesn't always end up like I had hoped. I do love Tammy and all she is and has done and I am proud of her for getting her very stressful life in order. Most people would not have been able to do that.

It's hare when you have 7 kids to be fair to all and I know I am not always fair with each kid at the same time but I hope when their need is great that I can be there for them.