Sunday, February 01, 2009

Reader's Block?

I have never been able to read more than one page in a book - well okay maybe I have read two whole books. I get pretty frustrated at myself when people ask me what my favorite book is or if I've ever read a certain book. When I tell them I haven't I feel pretty illiterate and uneducated. I hate to say it but reading puts me fast asleep. Should I be reading sitting up instead of in bed, is that my problem? Why can I read endlessly on the computer and not get sleepy? Is it that the light and electricity is stimulating my mind where a book can't? I seriously get to the point to where I cannot keep my eyes open. Yet when I put the book away and turn out the light for bed, I am wide awake thinking instead.

I am also attention deficit, in that as I read I am thinking about everything. I find that I have to go back and re-read paragraph after paragraph. This has been a struggle for me ever since I remember. Does this happen to anyone else?

I don't know, I just know that I love to write endlessly as you can tell with my new blog, Walking with God. So I feel that in order to be a good writer I need to be a good reader.

1 comment:

riehle mom said...

I sometimes struggle with reading books. my mind wanders if the book is dull. i need a book that captivates my attention right away. I just got through reading a book that is similar to the Grapes of Wrath. It is called gap creek. I got it because the story takes place in an area were Peter is serving his mission. It also helped me see that god is there during our struggles and joys.