Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Growin' Up

Each of my kids are going through different chapters of their lives. It warmed my heart to see my boys on Sunday. They always greet me with a large smile and hug and suddenly I feel so short! They are about 6'2" the both of them!I haven't been able to hug Michael for a while, but will get to soon!
 
Michael will be released from jail next month with good time. He was originally scheduled to stay on until February and had applied for the work program and was going to go into some training for welding. He moved from working in the kitchen to working in the garden. He was able to work for a steel fabrication shop for a week before they let him go due to not enough work for laborers. It was too bad he couldn't have stayed longer while he learned to weld as they had originally planned for him to do. I know it is exciting for him to get out after being in a year, and he has made some plans as to what he wants to do when he gets out. He wants to work in the drywall business with one of his friends who is self employed. I hope it works out. If it does, it would give Michael a chance to be productive in the outside world not to mention it would be good to know someone to up our drywall in the basement. Business is hard in this economy I bet and I'd rather pay someone I know than someone I don't.
 
Jacob has been working on his uncle's farm. It used to be a dairy farm, then beef, now it is just land and a house. I am not sure if they were growing alfalfa or not, but with the large amount of land there is I don't see why not. Jacob has been helping to paint and do repair work on an older home on the property. I guess a pretty large lady was living there and had accumulated quite an amount of baby powder around the house. They've done a really good job and it looks really nice. I am curious to see what the before pictures looked like. Reminds me of the move What's Eating Gilbert Grape?, only they burned the house down. Jake says he has a new girlfriend but with out a car I am wondering if it isn't a virtual relationship? We'll see what happens. I've yet to find out her name. I think this is #3 for him.
 
Savannah has enjoyed Vacation Bible School this week. She made a turtle and had snacks and said her favorite was the dancing. This morning on our way there she asked which way we were going, and then said, "The Bible way?" I thought of the significance of that statement and related it to my life. I hope that she will always keep what she is learns dear to her heart and continue to ask questions. Last week she asked why we don't see God? I wasn't and still am not sure how to answer her so she can understand, but Grandma did a pretty good job.
 
While she was shy and scared the first day, today she was a bit more brave and asked if I would wait with her until her teacher got there. Once her teacher arrived she quickly gave me a kiss and joined her group. I wanted to stay and watch and see her interactions and join in with her but instead I have made a mental reminder to bring my camera next time to get her picture with her teacher. I realize she is at the age where she is able to express her experience through her memory of it and that I can't always be there to see it in person. Made it a hard day to work though. Her first day of Kindergarten is next month and while I will get her picture outside the front of the building, I won't know the rest until she gets out. I'm sure she will have a big grin on her face when I come to pick her up!
 
My little girl is growing up and so are my little boys. I pray continually for each of them to grow and learn and become and while I want to step in and lead them by the hand, I know it isn't always up to me anymore. A lot of it is up to them, but more importantly God. I know He has a plan for them. Because of Him, I trust they are in good hands.

No comments: