Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Ahhh the life of a 5 1/2 year old...

Today was the first day of ballet class. Savannah said she had fun and when I asked her to show me what she learned when we got home she said, "But what if I forget?" Now mind you her class is across the street. I asked her to pose and she insisted it be next to the pretty flowers. She sat down on the flowerbed wall and posed just as I have taught her all these years. I then told her, "No, show me what you learned in class," and instantly she did a little move with her arms and bent her legs (not sure what they call them - is this a pirouette? I was too shy to take dance, just ask my mom) and in a split second she twirled her little fancy across the lawn. Reminded me of one of those spinning fireworks everyone gets chased by on the 4th of July.

I tried to get pictures of MattieJo, Savannah's cousin, and her posing together, but they were too busy opening their Starburst candy wrappers they got from their teacher. Needless to say the pictures didn't turn out and the dog chewed the camera so I can only do so much on that thing and hope for the best.

Tomorrow we're meeting her Kindergarten teacher. I am ecstatic other than it is not going to be at the Charter school I had lobbied her for. I pray they'll have an opening sometime. I guess my ideal would be to have all schools run the way Charter schools do, but then again I'm a fuddy-duddy.

I get the feeling sometimes I may be more excited for these milestones than she is, or at least that is what it seems. I even dreamt we went back for more school shopping! A lot of these emotions may however have to do with a) she's a girl b) I'm more mature in my parenthood c) we have a stable family with a mom & a dad. So it probably is me. Just a different season in life I guess and I've really feel God has re-given me this wonderful gift of motherhood to experience in a whole new light. I'm even going to sign up for the PTA! And yet a month ago I was in tears thinking of my baby growing up. This could all change - the first day of school is only 3 weeks away.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

She's such a beautiful girl. And from what you write about her, it seems like she'll love kindergarten. As a former teacher, it always seemed harder for the mommies to let go of their little ones than it was for the children to walk on in and get started. Enjoy this milestone and each one after it too.

Joyful said...

Boy...you're right...posting about school at the same time...WOW!

I cried my eyes out on my son's first day of Kindergarten. Even though I knew God had chosen his school and he was happy, I had a hard time letting go. I remember just barely making it home before dissolving in tears. I fell on the mat inside our front door and sobbed my little heart out. Seconds lately my door bell rang. I couldn't pretend I wasn't there as our double front doors had glass panes. Whoever was there would have already seen me. I opened the door to find my sister, with coffee and a donut. She knew I'd be struggling and came to encourage me.

I know your little girl will do well. She's a sweetie, and has a loving, supportive mom.

Blessings,
Joy