Sunday, October 30, 2016

Finding Fall

So fall is upon us, the leaves are starting to get scares, soon the colors will be gone, but it is always a good change too. On the weekend I love the cozy slippers and hot coffee mornings and soon the fireplace will be where we will gather and watch the pets play. There's just a different atmosphere to the start of the day. The season for more baking and cooking indoors to make the hearth warm and rich means more time spent as a family in the kitchen and less yard work!

My birthday came and went, 44 years old now. Funny how that number doesn't seem so big when you are living in it. For work I made some pumpkin spice cupcakes that turned out so delicious and when I got home Savannah had surprised me by decorating the kitchen. Charlie took the kids and I all out for Mexican food (of course) and it was good day.

Charlie and Savannah gave me a new sewing machine for my birthday and I am waiting to finish my current embroidery project before I start anything new. It is hard cause I want to get started on making a quilt for myself for winter or try my hand at some crafts but knowing how I am I made the rule to finish the project I'm on before starting another.
My sister, Monica, wrote the cutest note in my birthday card and sent me this little hen recipe card holder and some candy corn. It is so cute!

Jake is so sweet and bought me delicious chocolates and a card!

My in-laws gave me some really nice binoculars so I can watch the birds. Not many out there this time of year but I will definitely be keeping them near the windows in case any red cardinals appear this winter. They are so lovely with their contrast in color against the glistening white snow.

And even though I am taking a break from Facebook right now I can't forget all the warm wishes from the rest of my siblings and friends. I think that list grows larger each year. I appreciate feeling so loved. I guess that is the best part about having a birthday. Some people look at it as a day of getting older but I look at it as a day to be celebrated.

I've never embroidered before, and it is quite relaxing. I've been wanting to learn something new to do with my hands before bedtime other than sit on the computer or on my phone while watching TV, and also for those days that I am in a lot of pain from FM to take my mind off it and focus on something else. The thing I am finding with it is I have learned I do want to get a needle threader because trying to put three or four threads through a tiny hole all at once is a bit more challenging than I thought it would be. With Garfield on my lap and playing with the thread I feel like a true granny. LOL

We made home made lasagna with our past maker and accessories that we received for Christmas last year. The ravioli and the fettuccini have all be so good we had to try this too of course. Charlie is getting the hang of it and become pretty efficient in making it too. He normally doesn't like pasta but with making the dough fresh like this he often craves it.
 
Just looking at the picture of the lasagne out of the oven makes my mouth water all over again.

Here are some fun pictures from the rest of the month:
Bear playing in leaves in the yard, I caught him in the act. 


Savannah's science project for the anatomy of a cell. She was really creative and made slime and thought of using a rubber bouncy ball for the  nucleus. Cute stuff! I miss seeing hand made projects like this from when she was in elementary school and so you can imagine this would have ben hard to keep in a file so a picture will work fine. 

No comments: