Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Christmas Cheer

I was able to visit with Michael and Melissa tonight, we met at this little cafe in downtown Green Bay that once used to be a bar but was redecorated and made over and is now a sobriety cafe where people can hang out like you would at a bar but there is no alcohol. They have couches and TVs in there, a bar with stools, and lots of good sandwiches, coffee, and smoothies. They also host a lot of meals and activities for the less fortunate or for many other groups such as AA.

Melissa is from Louisiana, they met at the homeless shelter. She is very sweet and I feel like we can easily talk. I gave them some Christmas gifts and bought them dinner. I got to know her and Michael and I got reacquainted - the last time I talked to him other than text was the day before Easter when he left. I just enjoy finding and giving gifts to others and it was good to see them smile as they opened them.

It was nice to see Michael happy, warm, and cared for. It breaks this mom's heart that he chooses this way of life but it is his to live and I have come to accept it. He stays at night in the shelter and during the day he has classes that help addicts so I am appreciative there are programs out there for kids in his situation.

I hope to get out to meet up with them again probably around Valentine's in February

No comments: