Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Refugees

So the governor is housing 300 New Orleans refugees right now at Camp Williams. They say that half of them want to relocate with other family members in other states and the other half want to stay here. I think they are all feeling overly welcome from the hospitality of ours and the other neighboring states trying to help comfort them. My only worry is that when all the newness of trying to get them back onto their feet is worn off, they might not be so happy to stay here. In the business I work for, we strive to get people out in the workforce, but I hope these people don't jump too fast for what is already a heavy populated area growing at a fast rate. I'm not a counselor helping them out, but for those that are they gotta wonder if they do stay in the state if they will end up back in their offices looking for jobs or training a year from now. And who will pay for their training for them while they are jobless? Will our Unemployment office pay their UI checks? I sure don't imagine that FEMA will pick up the bill after all is said and done. And do these southern people know about the type of community they are getting themselves into? I mean we're talking on the other spectrum of New Orleans style living. I bet some of them will cling to the change of scenery, dry valleys, and the secure feeling they have after all has happened, but as far as work I imagine a lot of them will be going to SLC since there really isn't much money or choice of jobs in Happy Valley. I suppose, if I were in their shoes, I guess anything right now is better than nothing. Good luck to them regardless of where they stay, they've been through hell.

No comments: