Saturday, September 24, 2005

Some funny stories about Jake

I have been meaning to write about Jacob for a while now. I don't think he's had his own category yet just cause nothing major has been going on with him for me to talk about. So I wanted to tell a few funny stories about him that he will never live down. We just call them "blonde" moments. Enjoy.

Jake's embarrassing story #1:
When going to the grocery store one day, I had purchased some meat from the butcher. Even in this day and age they do still wrap some of the meat in butcher paper, you know, the white thick paper? It was a pot roast about the size of a 5 lb bag of flour. I like to have pot roasts every so often and this one was on sale so I was planning to keep it in the freezer for whenever I had time to do a big dinner. From day one my boys have always helped with putting the groceries away so I usually don't inspect what they are doing until after it's done. I make sure things are usually in the right place, but this time I really didn't bother to check and was in a hurry to do something else. About two weeks had passed by when something coming from my cupboard smelled like a dead mouse. I had the boys check to see if their hamsters were in their cages and that they were both still breathing and alive. I looked under the sink to see if there was anything theree. I just couldn't find where that smell was coming from. I told my husband about it, that maybe he could take a better look and at that time it was getting to the point where we could really pinpoint where the smell was coming from. It wasn't in the cupboards on the floor so I thought to myself, "This must be a really tricky mouse to get up so high and got stuck so that's why it died." I cursed at the cats for not doing their job and was disgusted they could allow us to have mice. So as we opened the cupboards the smell just poured out from what looked like a bag of flour. Jake had put the roast in the cupboard not looking at the package at all.

Jake's embarrassing story #2:
We went to Lotus Garden to try their Chinese buffet for dinner since we were right in the neighborhood. It wasn't our usual spot we go to but we thought to try it anyway. They have a Mongolian barbecue with the meat, noodles, and veggies displayed in front of the grill. I don't know if he had chosen the meat and veggies he wanted and had them cooked or if he smiply wandered over there thinking it was part of the regular buffet. When he returned to the table, the Asian waitress looked at his plate and laughed and said, "You cook noodle!" really fast in a hard accent. None of us could understand what she was saying and we hadn't noticed Jake's plate yet, so we kept asking her to repeat what she said. She laughed and laughed and repeated herself until we finally understood. When we looked at Jake's plate, there they were, raw noodles from the Mongolian barbecue!

Jake's embarrassing moment #3
Before I got married, the kids and I would often go out with my parents for dinner. Different Chinese buffet, different city. All was well and we were done eating. The kids always go for the soft serve ice cream afterward and there are usually toppings available. I was sitting at our table visiting with my brother and as Jacob walked up to sit next to me with his bowl of ice cream, he sees the expression on my face and utters, "I know. I have too many sprinkles." I laughed out loud as hard as I could and said, "EW! You put bacon bits on your ice cream!" He was shocked. In one sense he didn't believe me and didn't want to admit it but in the other I knew he knew. We dared my brother to taste the ice cream with the bacon and he did! I wished I would have not said anything to see Jake's expression after his first bite!

No comments: