Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mommy, don't go!

Funny thing happened yesterday morning when dropping Savannah off at her babysitter's...

You see, Savannah has become extra clingy when we leave her with others ever since Charlie started his new job and doesn't watch her during the day. She has only been this way once or twice since she was born, so I guess since she's older now the separation anxiety is more at the forefront of her mind. Even distractions aren't working. What's more, is it's not just when I go to work, it's all the time. I know this is caused from the change in the schedule cause the week before he changed jobs, she was fine and was happily intervened with crayons and a coloring book by the Sunday School teacher. (Yes, for those of you that know me, we go to church now.) Even when we left her with the boys the other night while visiting Grandma to take a peek at the Aquarium store across the street, she was upset.

So her babysitter and I have been brainstorming on how to help her cope. Yesterday I decided to not rush off so soon to help make the transition a little easier on her and took more time than usual so that Savannah wouldn't be so nervous about my leaving. After a few minutes, I knelt on my knees to chat with her babysitter and noticed that she was starting to get comfortable. I thought it would be a good time to ask for a kiss and get on my way, but when I said to her, "Can I have a kiss?" She said, "Nuh-uh," and plopped herself on my lap so I couldn't go. Made for a good chuckle all day yesterday. She's getting smart, that one is!

No comments: