Friday, March 10, 2006

What's going on...

Well Savannah did well last night, no poopies! So far so good and she ate a bunch of starchy potatoes too, so that ought to thicken her up! She still hates Pedialyte and we have to force it down her throat. If you've tasted it before like I have, can you blame her?

Jacob is required to attend a play and write a report about it for his drama class each term of the semester. Therefore we are going to see Westside Story at the Hale Center Theater tomorrow. Our whole family is going (all but Boo's), even my mom and sister, so I'm looking forward to it.

Michael has decided that he wants to take a home building construction class at the MATC next year for his senior electives. Next week we talk to the counselor about what credits he needs for graduation and what electives he wants to take to help him figure out what he wants to do in life. At first and for the longest time he planned on going into the military, but he admitted last night that he's not so sure and is a little scared thinking about the experiences he might have. I'm sure it's just that thing we all went through trying to figure out where we would fit in after leaving home for good. He will be 17 the end of this month so I hope he can really find himself during this coming year.

Charlie starts his new job on Monday and is a little apprehensive but knows it's an answer to our prayers and a blessing to keep our family organized the way it was before. I think he will actually like this place better since it's not such a large corporation like where he worked before and hopefully not as much pressure as they had on him there. What's neat though, is last night at 9:30 p.m. he received a call from a lady who's husband has his own electric company two streets down from where we live! She asked him if he was working, and if he would be interested in a job as a residential electrician although he isn't certified. When I asked him how they got his number, he told me they had it from Workforce Services and in looking at his resume she said they were very impressed. This is the third job offer he's had since he left his other back in January, and what's funny is he hasn't even had to try to find these people!

As for me, my former Regional Director called me yesterday to invite me to a Workforce Professionals conference to share my story of being a former welfare client and the experience I had in getting from where I was to who I am today. I took this as a compliment since it's been over 6 years since I started back on my feet after my X left the boys and I, my 2 year bout of drug use, and the lack of a stable residence or a job. For so long I suffered and my boys suffered from my denial that I needed counseling and I got so mentally incapable of functioning that I went rock bottom. I had to hit the bottom though before I was able to work back up. I never knew that all the pain and suffering I went through would still affect my life today...

Well that's what's going on...happy Friday everyone.

No comments: