Thursday, April 13, 2006

I've gotta be crazy...

As of late I've set a personal goal of where I would like to be in 5 years. I don't see myself making the big bucks at the State Capitol just yet, but at least a start in the audit field within the state agency I work for now. Auditing and finding errors people make can be the most ruthless job, but it's satisfying for me in a sick sense that if I find something, I've done my job and feel like I have "fixed" something. I know people will hate me and I will be loathed excessively and will have no friends, but it's my goal nonetheless. How do I know this? Because I once used to be on the other end of an auditor, and still am. In my job now, I'm kind of like the middle man constantly trying to catch things before the auditors do.

I am in charge of approving payments on a second level basis, so in other words the final approval. I am also considered to be the lead and knowledge based worker for those I am approving work on. So these last couple of weeks I've had to be the bad guy and point out errors to be corrected before approving them or to suggest things to avoid errors and this always makes people feel incompetent and become offended and learn to hate me. I feel that they think I'm nitpicky or bullying them but I'm just doing my job.

A couple weeks ago one person actually swore at me and gave me the silent treatment claiming that I didn't train her to do what I was telling her was missing. Later she realized what she'd done wrong and apologized. And then today in staff meeting my supervisor announced to everyone that I had brought an issue to her attention then in the same sentence calmy asked those who enter payments to keep their invoice # entries consistent with each other so the system could catch any duplicates. You should have seen the look on their faces as they turned to me and worst part is I still don't think they knew what the issue was since they took it personally. I've truly been tested, but I'm sure there will be much more to come and I haven't changed my mind about my goal. Not yet anyway.

No comments: