Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What I want for my birthday...

The title of this post reminds me of the theme the kids in A Christmas Story were required to write about what they wanted for Christmas. Funny. But it turns out this entry is really about personal change, and not about my upcoming birthday at all.

Recently I've realized that my goal for losing weight is working and I could apply the same idea on other goals with self talk. I decided I wanted to lose weight and I'm doing it aren't I? I didn't think I could before, but now wish I would have started sooner. As a result, I finally bought a treadmill after wanting one for so many years, and I bought it without feeling guilty for spending the money. (for the most part.) So to help my positive thinking and efforts to keep my self worth up, I need to really treat my needs and wants better than I have in the past.

Being an adult for the last umpteenth years, I've always said I don't want anything or I don't need anything for my birthday. But I've been thinking of how I cheat myself out of so many things by having that attitude, that by not letting myself discover what I want for a simple birthday gift has made me become habitually indecisive about everything in life. Besides, if I can't read my own mind, what makes me think other people can?

So in order to practice identifying what I really do want (not just for my birthday but in life) and to not feel selfish for wanting it, I've made this list. And what I don't get, I will learn to make an honest effort to get myself without feeling guilty about it.

What I want for my birthday...

1. New pajamas, robe, and slippers.
2. Chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
3. A gift certificate to a nice salon to get my hair colored and cut.
4. Money for new clothes.
5. Small radio for my desk at work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!!!!! Keep at it!!!!!


My leader was saying how she used a lable gun to but affermation messages all over the place LOL

Becca said...

You have a good list going...make it longer..you are worth it! Even if they are little, they are all attainable. No dream is too small to acheive!

Becca

Jamie said...

Good for you! I felt like I was reading about myself when I read your blog today. I always say the same thing, "I don't need anything...don't waste your money..." And this is the first year I made a request. At first I felt guilty. But my husband actually seemed to appreciate it and got all excited to do something special for my birthday. Now I'm going to steal one of your ideas...I want cake with frosting!!!! But do I have to wait til the 22nd?????

Unknown said...

That's what birthdays are allll about (letting everyone know what you want!) I'm just sad mine is so close to Christmas (and my anniversary and Valentine's Day). I often get ripped off!

meg said...

Why is it we feel guilty for wanting to be treated special? We do it for everyone else, because it makes happy to give joy, but then deny others the same experience because we don't want to appear selfish. You go for it- but make sure you share the list with your family ;)
I don't know why half my photos show & half don't- I could see them at home, but not at work- I was planning on putting all the pics I took over the week in an album anyway, so I might just remove them.
BTW, I haven't announced it on Spaces yet, but I'm posting a second blog here for my Blogger friends- same post, just stripped down.