Monday, September 11, 2006

What were you doing in 2001?

I was getting ready for work when I hear this pounding on my front door. "What was going on?" I thought. I ran down the stairs and opened the door where I was instantly confused as to why I was getting a rambled on story from my moochy neighbor who was not very commendable in the first place. After he excitedly said something about a plane crashing into some World Center somewhere, I simply said, "Oh really?" And then said, "I've got to get ready to work," and quickly shut the door thinking, "Who has time for this? Doesn't he know that real people really work? So a plane crashed and hit a building. Don't planes accidentally crash all the time? What building is he talking about like I'm supposed to know where this is?" Yes, I'm a little naive and obviously haven't been much out of Utah for my whole life, so I figured I'd hear about it on the way to work and left it at that. I really heard the shocking news once I got in the car and turned the radio on as I was pullihng out the driveway. I was thinking to myself, "Terrorists? In my country? NO WAY! And where is this World Trade Center, what are the Two Towers? Why isn't anyone telling us to stay inside? No wonder my neighbor was freaking out." I couldn't believe what I was hearing and little did I know that wasn't all that was to happen that day. I can't believe five years have passed. Five years!

God bless the families who lost loved ones from horrible death...I know your pain, but the reason for it less comprehensible and without purpose than the reason for mine.

No comments: