Sunday, September 11, 2005

It's a Sheba, Sheba, Sheba!

As my dad always used to call out to her. So we adopted Sheba from my sister-in-law this weekend. Turns out we happened to mention to mom we were in the market for a fence so if Kathy ever wanted to get rid of Sheba, we'd take her since it seems Kathy's has never been all that into her as a pet and we have known we wanted to get a dog sometime after getting our fence in. Because my mom lives with my brother and Kathy, no more than she mentioned my suggestion to her, Sheba became ours. I think the fact that the cops were called in about her barking the night before last from someone in my mom's neighborhood was the reason why we rushed our decision on taking her before the fence is in, but we figure might as well start bonding with her now. She's actually a really good dog. Now you know if it had been a Marmaduke dog there would have been no volunteering...so the fact that she's a patterdale terrier and a jack russell (little thing with hardly any fur, less than the cats even) made the decision to take her an easy one. Savannah and the boys really could use a dog and the dog could really use them. Kids and dogs go hand in hand, in fact they are running around together upstairs right now. It's not that Kathy didn't lover her, she just didn't pay the attention to her that she needed. But boy, she's a hyper little thing and I guess so is Savannah and Jacob and Charlie! So here's to a new era of doghood for our little family. I myself haven't owned a dog, EVER, unless you consider the German Shepherd named Belle mom and dad had when I was a kid and all the litters of puppies she had around her, but that was AGES ago! Luckily my husband's was raised around dogs so he'll know how to take good care of her when me and the boys can't figure it out. I feel so bad though, last night we took her harness off and it just snapped off like a rubberband. I don't think Kathy realized that maybe Sheba grew into it and should have had it loosened it a little for her, that and she always left her on the leash. So her fur and skin is so raw she is scratching it to death as it itches with healing, but she still seems to be a happy camper. Now the cats? Well, that's another story. Let's just say that they've disowned us and still haven't come out from under the box springs of Michael's bed in the basement bedroom. Not for food, not for water, nothing. It's been almost 24 hrs now and I wonder how much longer it will be before they'll get with reality and come out. LOL!










Jake and Savannah playing with Sheba in the back yard. (Note there is thick grass now!)











Jake loves his new pet!











That is one tired out dog! I don't think she had a nap all day and she sure is worn out!

No comments: