Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Holiday weekend plans

Well here we are. The day before Thanksgiving. The "Friday" of the work week (for me and my family anyway.) The boys are actually out of school today, lucky dogs. Speaking of school, WOO HOO! Congratulations to my husband for completing yet another semester at school! This week has been nice in that he has a break between semesters on a holiday week when we both have time off of work. So it's basically party time, well it will be after we get off work tonight!

So it's funny when you think about teenagers and some of the things they do and say. My boys, although 14 and 16, are still just little kids inside as they are excited for the holidays. Jacob said to me the other night, "Mom, I'm not going to eat for two days so that way I'll be hungry for Thanksgiving dinner." I told him there wasn't any way he was fasting for two days! A couple of weeks before that he overheard my talking to my mom about Thanksgiving plans and said, "Mom are we having Thanksgiving at Grandma's this year?" After I told him, "Yes," he then said, "I can't wait to taste Grandma's turkey. I'll bet it will be so good." Now this excited little boy named Jacob I can see, he's always my little boy, but even Michael is into it. He surprised me when I asked him what I should take out of the freezer for dinner, "Nothing, because it's Thanksgiving." Also a few weeks ago he had asked me about where we were having dinner so I told him at Grandma's and mentioned that his cousin, Alex who is his age, will be there. He said, "Cool!" So to me it sounds like they both are really looking forward to it reminding me that they are still my little boys deep down inside.

The Friday after Thanksgiving is the traditional day we get our Christmas tree. It used to be the day that the boys and I would put up the pre-lit artificial tree, but since I'm no longer single and remarried we now get live trees. It's so nostalgic and the kids just love it that I know they are really looking forward to it. The only problem is the guy we bought from last year isn't open yet and we're afraid he's out of the tree selling business. We really liked his trees since they were fresh cut the week before he sold them. They weren't as expensive as the regular lots and he's not too far from our house. So I'm afraid we'll end up buying one of those dried up fire hazards at the grocery store lot. Personally I don't like to buy live trees. There is no sense in cutting a perfectly live tree to store it in the house for a month and then throw away. It just makes no sense and makes me feel bad. But I do like the smell they have and it always reminds me of when I was little so I guess for now while the kids are still growing we'll be getting real trees and maybe I can talk my husband into a pre-lit artificial tree after they are grown and gone.

This weekend we are planning to go see Harry Potter. I'm sure it will be sold out so I plan to buy the tickets ahead of time online just to be safe. The boys also got really excited about that when I told them we were going. Savannah will be staying back with Grandma and will have fun chasing her cats around that actually let her catch them. Our cats are never catch worthy, not even for us adults. They are losers when it comes to pet-quality.

Sunday we will visit with my old friends, Shaun & Lauri, who will be in town because of the holiday. It will be nice to see them again since it's been over a year since we saw them last. I hope they haven't changed too much. It seems that when people move away the distance in time and miles between you both everyone grows apart. And I'm sure they haven't changed as much as I have, this I know. Since they moved to Montana, I've gotten married, bought a house, and had a baby. My life is much different now than when they lived here. I will enjoy seeing them nonetheless.

That's our weekend in a nutshell!

No comments: