Monday, November 28, 2005

I gotta hand it to him

My husband is too kind. I know if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't be as strong as he is. This weekend we went to a surprise birthday party for an old friend of mine. Well the friend I am talking about was friends with me when I was with the ex. In fact this friend had actually gone to school with the ex. So at this party everyone has now and again brought up the ex's name or talked about the boys when they were young etc. Well this being the past that Charlie was never involved at that time, you'd think it would bother him that people don't think about it the way we do - the past, all is forgotten. But he doesn't seem to let it bother him. I always wondered how I would do as a step mom but I don't think I could do it as well has he has being a step dad. I don't know if I could take kids who have a different mother and try my hardest to be a mom to them into the relationship without feeling highly uncomfortable. So I gotta give Charlie some appreciation cause I don't know how he does it without feeling so "out of place" when we are at parties like that or when my family has from time to time mentioned the ex or something from the past that excludes him. I know I wouldn't want to hear about his ex or what she did or people asking about where she is (Yes, people come right out and ask me all too often about my ex and what he is up to...and the nerve of them - why would I know or care anyway? - He's my ex for God's sake!). I'd be a little pissed after a while, but I guess that's what to expect with a mixed family with a past behind them. (All but the asking about the ex part anyway.)

No comments: