Sunday, November 06, 2005

Remembering

Since Dad has died, certain times of the day on the weekends will trigger memories of when I was a kid. It seems that what went on during a typical Saturday or a Sunday is what comes to my mind most. On Saturday mornings I will often remember Dad with his music playing loudly and him frying potatoes for breakfast. The smell of bacon and eggs cooking on the stove was present and the stereo would be playing Mexican ballads, Johnny Cash, or stuff like the theme to "The Good, Bad, and Ugly." Dad would be so lively on those mornings and grumble at me for not saying "Good Morning" back as he read the newspaper in his chair. I wasn't a morning person, but he was and everyone else needed to be too! It all makes me laugh now and I wish I was more of a morning person like he was.

Today the memory I have is of when the whole family would go for a ride up the canyon on Sundays. I don't know how often we went on these rides, but there is this one event that sticks out in my mind the most as it is so vivid. I remember getting home from church and mom and dad packing the pot roast and vegetables in the big black roasting pan right out of the oven and into the car. We would head out for a scenic ride up the canyon and a quck picnic out in the woods. Cascade Springs, the fish hatchery, and drives around the expensive neighborhoods are just a few other rides to mention. I hope to do the same thing with my own family more often to continue to share the memories I had of my childhood and maybe we'll bring along our pot roast too!

No comments: