Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Today's Work Peeves

So recently we had another person leave our team leaving us with four people short and no go on permission from the direct to interview yet. State red tape is on tight right now with our governor and since other agencies are consolidating also, they want to preserve what positions there are in order to transfer people so they won't let us hire anyone until they decide what they are doing for sure. Meanwhile the work still needs to be done.

I have been cross trained in about every area of finance and can help out where needed and when I was asked yesterday to help with our medical billings I was more than accepting knowing that no one else could step in. So the lady that sits next to me, who's been working in government for 30 years and has no plans for retiring so she can continue to buy her medication that keeps her alive from all the smoking she does, grumbles and is going around telling people that they are "making" me do all this additional work. No, I volunteered and don't really mind. They did ask. And like I've told her, I'd rather have stuff to do to make the drive worthwhile, especially today's 2 hour drive from all the snow (another peeve). It's not like I am doing it all for nothing, I did tell management that I would probably need overtime during the temporary help.

When the first few people left I volunteered to take on some more duties permanently (because remember I was so bored stiff and didn't have enough to do?) and of course this same lady made negative comments so I told her that there are some people that take on challenges and are team players and then there are those that don't do anything above and beyond. Funny how she shut up. Besides, she wouldn't have offered. She's always saying how she doesn't have time to do what she has yet she has been visiting with people at the office ALL morning.

I get so sick of people who say they are swamped but yet you rarely see them working. Maybe I'm just a work horse, and maybe things will change when I get as old as she is, but until then, Shut Up! Don't say negative things to me because I am willing to help my team out and can handle it. Don't be sarcastic and tell me that I'm a butt kisser! And most of all, don't decide offer to help me with my workload all the while complaining about your own job.

Then there is our "end of year" work party. We can't call it a Christmas party or even a holiday party. I think that it's wrong that because one person doesn't celebrate holidays that we who do don't get to. So of course we can't do a gift exchange and make gift giving easier for those of us that want to give and have some spirit around here. So it's pretty boring in this office, but at least the lady that doesn't celebrate gets respect. I think it should be the majority that gets favored, don't you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think it is smart of you to show off all your ability's to upper management right now! Makes you more needed in the long run when they are filling positions from the consolidations!

Sounds like your co worker is just a bitter old lady!

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in to say hi! Sounds like work is keeping you pretty busy. I hope they get you some help soon! Glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving:) Missy

Anonymous said...

I also was asked to help out at work. I help out when needed and try to say positive things to other team mates. I also hate gossiping. I am proud of the way you work with others. Keep up the great JOB! Monica