Thursday, January 22, 2009

Teenage Heart Throb

It has been happening for a few weeks now - rituals of brushing teeth, getting up earlier than normal to take the time for a shower, lint rolling Bear's dog hair off his clothes, shaving peach fuzz, straightening his hair, worrying about his hair (well he's always worried about his hear), and even wearing clean socks. He also told me the other day, "I am trying to get in the habit of making my bed every morning." How does a mom not notice these things?
 
Last night after brushing his teeth, he came into my bathroom where I was and asked for some floss. He then showed me his teeth and said, "Are my teeth getting whiter?" It was then I really knew.
 
And so it has happened. Jake has had a girlfriend for about a month - but, "Technically Christmas break didn't count." he said. In reality it was more that I guessed and interrogated him to admit it. He said he was waiting to tell us, that he was going to last Monday but just hasn't yet. I reminded him that if he feels he has to "hide" something from us, then there is a good sign it is not something he should be doing and that he is probably correct in the feeling of not wanting to tell us. He responded with he thought we would be all weird about it. So I asked him, "How do you know what our reaction will be until you actually do tell us?" He was stumped and agreed that I was right about that. I am sure his real reason is that he was worried in regards to the harsh reactions we had to Michael and his relations with girls - but we had good reason for this due to Michael's behaviors at school and at home. Jake thought about that and then agreed.
 
He says he's not in love though - nor has he had a first kiss with her or anyone yet for that matter. When I asked him about her and what they have in common he says, "I don't know we don't get to talk that much. She doesn't have a cell phone in order to text and she is not allowed to go out yet." So I replied with, "That's good though. No sense in rushing things." From what I can tell by his reactions they are just friends at this point and still getting to know each other. Maybe this is more at the puppy love stage than boyfriend/girlfriend stage? However I also know that he wants to pursue moving forward with the relationship. This morning he asked if he could go to her house tomorrow after school. 
 
This should be an interesting subject at the dinner table tonight...my baby boy, is growing up. He'll be 18 in April, going on 30.
 

No comments: