Sunday, December 05, 2010

So I started a Scentsy Business...

Now that we've moved 1500 miles away from our previous life and my family (sigh) a lot of changes have taken place. Especially for me. With extra time on my hands not working so much I found I had many days of depression and insecurities. There were many good days too. But I just didn't know how to keep my thoughts focused away from feeling like I wasn't contributing to the household.

You see I haven't been a stay at home mom full time or even part time for that matter in I don't know how long. So after getting Savannah off to school the house would be very empty and quiet. Sure I had the pets,  the housework, Jake usually in bed from working 2nd shift, and then off to my part time job but it wasn't what I was used to. My husband assured me all I was doing was very valuable, but for me I am just so used to providing away from the home it felt awkward.

I'd rather sit at the computer all day working, after all that is what I was used to (especially my brain) - so as I was online looking at grocery ads, school lunch menus, and ways to keep sliced apples from going brown in your kids' lunch pail - it hit me one day. I was shopping online for Scentsy products and thought, "Why not sell them myself? How else will I get to know people around here and make friends to help with feeling the void of no family nearby?"

I had also thought about it back when I lived in Utah but I had no time to spare so it was a passing thought. My job was stressful and I really didn't have the attitude for it and knew that a half a weekend devoted to anything wouldn't work successfully.

Well now I am excited to sell it, but the only thing is all my acquaintances are in Utah and not here. So selling long distance is not as productive, but I am very appreciative of all the support they have given me thus far. I know that eventually I will have a customer base and will get to know more people and be able to succeed, but I really wanted to do this to keep myself occupied with something productive that I also love - so I need to remember why I started this. I do love candles and making my house smell good, so I can't deny this wasn't the product.

Best thing of all, I don't feel near as depressed as I did a few weeks ago before I became a consultant. This has been the biggest benefit so far!

If you are interested in browsing the products, the link to my site is always at the top of my blog here. You can also request to have a party in your home, I will send out the tester samples, catalogs, etc and all you have to do is invite people and introduce them to the product and you will earn half off items and credits towards your own merchandise! Plus who doesn't like a party?

These wickless candles are safe in that they don't cause any possible harm with fire nor do they get hot enough to burn someone. The designs are unique and fit almost any personality. Plus they are always coming up with new and fresh ideas. I am having a hard time not buying for myself that is how much I love them. People ask me what my likes and dislikes are and I find it hard to have "favorites" of anything, but candles are the exception. Any way shape or form as long as they smell I just have a fettish.

So I started a Scentsy business...and I am learning that my job doesn't define me. It is a good feeling.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I agree with your husband 100%! What you are doing IS valuable. In fact, it's invaluable!

And I love my scentsy brick!