Saturday, September 28, 2019

Bienvenido Mexico Part 2

After our first day of settling in we hung out at the pool a lot. Charlie and I went swimming in the ocean too. I must have been having fun since I didn't stop to think about re-applying my sun block. Maybe I should have kept a shirt on like Charlie did - or stay out of the sun! (Impossible)

The resort had activities all day at the pool to keep people entertained. Sue and I had fun with Zumba in the water and of course when you've had a margarita or two you think you've got your groove on. I'm pretty sure I didn't and am glad my body was hidden in the pool. A lot of people think you gain weight on vacation but I think I lost weight with all the activity. It was good for me.

We went shopping on main street where the people there are always anxious to get a sale. I almost believed them the first time they insisted they were my waiter from the hotel the night before. After Bob informed us why they used this tactic, Charlie and I figured out a way to hide our resort wristbands. It was fun to look at all the colorful items they hand make and see everything in spanish language. I told Savannah she needed to be there to help us translate. I think by now however, I've forgotten everything I learned.

We charted a fishing boat and when we got out into the ocean I couldn't believe the velvety blue color of the water! I cannot even describe it! I have never seen that color before. I tried to take a picture but there is no justice compared to seeing it in person. There were so many colors of blue that you never knew existed! After reeling in a barracuda and mahi mahi I got sick and wanted to die. I know I am prone to motion sickness and yet I didn't yield to it. But even so this was by far the best experience from our trip. When we were disembarking the boat, our captain was already filleting the fish for us. We promptly took to filets the restaurant where we made arrangements with the chef there to prepare for our lunch. By this time I was feeling much better and we chilled out at the bar just talking about it. In fact we are still talking about it. And how that fish tasted!? I have never tasted such delicious fresh fish. We couldn't stop eating it!

Later in the week we took a really nice ferry to Cozumel where we ate lunch and were accompanied by pigeons and mariachis. I requested the song La Bamba for our table and in that moment I just really missed my dad. Oh I had already a lot of moments like this during our trip, and maybe it was because the mariachis were older men, but I was reminded once again of how I'd give anything to have told him about it or to have visited Mexico with him at least once before he passed.

We didn't last long shopping in Cozumel - it was pretty much what we already experienced and it was mighty hot that day so we headed back to the ferry and then a long hot walk to our room. I've never appreciated air conditioning as much as I had that day! In fact I surprised myself to think how normally I am a sun person and how I have been all my life but that by this time I was tired of it! Coming from the Texas summer hadn't helped either.

It was great at night to have such vast and wonderful dining experiences in all the restaurants we had to choose from. The food was exquisite at Chef's Plate I have to say and was quite memorable. We also had a Mexican buffet meal out in the garden. You know me I can never get enough Mexican food. Charlie and I got quite used to not having to wait for the check and were spoiled by it I must say.

Before we left we went to main street one last time for shopping and I wanted a fish foot spa and it felt so good! I cannot believe how tingly those little guys make you feel and how regenerated your feet are afterward! I managed to find all I was looking for in souvenirs to take back as treasures. I enjoy gift giving and searching for things that I like to give.

Our last day we went swimming and it rained good and hard - of course it felt wonderful in or out of the pool and it was a lot of fun just to be in it! I'd never been in a "tropical" storm before. It was quite invigorating.

I admit that we didn't have the inclination to go on a lot of excursions as most people do, but I feel like our first trip to Mexico was quite memorable and it was enjoyable to be able to soak it all in so that when we go again we will know what we might want to add to our experience.

Here are the last of my favorite pics to tell the story! Hasta La Vista Mexico! - until next time.

Drinks before dinner

View from main street

Another view from main street

Into the deep blue ocean

Reeling it in!

Mahi Mahi and Barracuda aka lunch
  
Mahi Mahi and Baracuda aka Prepared Lunch

Fish Spa

Ferry to Cozumel

Heading out

Lunch friend in Cozumel

Mexican garden party

Mmmm. Aren't you jealous?

Escargot!

View of the night

No comments: