Saturday, May 09, 2020

At Home

So since the middle of March we've been staying home, well mostly Savannah and I. COVID-19 virus has swept over the remaining part of the planet and while the US seemed to be last in line I am not sure exactly if this is true. But I don't really care about the politics of it or who started it or how, what matters is we are all safe, we still have our jobs, and work (for now), and there is not more that we can feel blessed for.

I am ready to get back into the office however. I like my morning walks with Cowboy and not having the commute but it is hard transitioning between the two spaces. I am tempted to work more than I should even though we are not allowed overtime, in fact I even thought about it just before I started this post. I get distracted and can't focus as well as I do in the office but this is in part to my family being around. And lastly, I eat more working from home!

I am looking forward to seeing my coworkers when we are given the okay to go back. I miss this part of socializing. You know me, it doesn't take much. Just being around them during the day is socialization even if we don't talk much.

Speaking of socialization, is it terrible that I have enjoyed being quarantined for various reasons? For example, there is no pressure from family members (not that I don't love them) to visit or go places. I can also get away with not having to go anywhere. (Why yes, I am a home body). Introversion has its annoyances because I feel guilty for being this way. But it is who I am and I have to tell myself this all the time and I am not the only one!

Savannah is having a hard time - oh not with the online schooling part, she is and always has been very good about that - but she is pretty extroverted and thrives on being around kids her age. She even said she wished she had a sibling to be quarantined with so she wasn't so alone. I am glad I work at home for this but worry when I return. She applied for a job and of course due to the virus they were not hiring. Bummer deal too is that the driver license office is closed and we can't get her learners permit right now which she would love to be practicing her driving.

Here she is cutting her dad's hair and attending virtual drill with her Sea Cadet program.
I am loving the puzzles but have a hard time finding them in stock right now. Everyone else seems to have the same idea.
I miss the three of us being able to just go out though...well, dining that is...since that is just about all the DFW area in Texas has to offer. Can't miss recreational activities or outdoor nature excursions since there isn't a lot to find here. We did go on a picnic a couple of weeks ago near people/boat filled reservoir and that was nice but the lack of water and trees and country and mountain landscapes here seriously plays a role in my happiness. Texas has these things, just not where we live within an hour or two.

Because our cruise with my mom is canceled I am left with my upcoming vacation time and no plans. I love this because in years past they were already spent before I got them. I almost want to hoard them and go on a vacation just the three of us. After all it has been 10 year since we did this and it is long past due. Now this something to think about...virus or no virus. And it will be in the future after Charlie gets more vacation in September. I bet vacations are cheap right now even if we don't travel until October. But even so, I'd do an in state trip just to get to know the state of Texas better.

No comments: