Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Having second thoughts...

On my new position that is. I am wondering how a person can already be burned out from her job after only accepting it 2 1/2 months ago. I realize this working one on one with people and counseling them would be hard and a challenge for me, but I am concerned though that maybe it isn't for me and may never be for me. I am finding that I am tired of people and their problems already. I find I do not enjoy working like I have previously even in comparison to issuing food stamps and Medicaid this feeling has even changed. When I was just issuing benefits, it was easier as I didn't get involved in their lives. Now I am entwined in such a different way.

Do I give it more time knowing that this is a new position or do I talk to my boss about it and see how he feels and ask for some advice? At what point will I know whether or not this is the job for me? Is it because of the holidays that I am lacking the desire to work? I know the answer all too well is to give it time, that once I learn better what I am doing and become effecient at it I will like it better. But even if I know what I am doing better the people and their problems will not go away.

I got a job announcement for a Financial Analyst III with the State Hospital, it sounds mind numbing, but it would be a promotion and not involve working with people and their problems, just numbers. That's it. Sounds too easy. Drawback is that this would be with a new agency and my goal was to retire with Workforce Services, I have a dedication to them I guess.

What is your opinion?

3 comments:

bitterkat said...

I think you really enjoy the behind the scenes work and that is who you are. Nothing wrong with that. I hope you find the courage to talk to your boss and get to the place where you want to be; where you will fill happy and fulfilled!

Rambling Rita said...

Please talk to your boss. Maybe you are not meant to be a people person and it is getting you down. Ask your boss if you can go back to what you were doing before. You can also apply for the job at the State Hospital as well.

Jamie said...

I don't know you personally, so I don't feel like I can offer advice on what you should do. But I think sometimes God calls us to do things that aren't always easy for us and take us out of our comfort zone. So my thought is to just be in prayer about what God wants you to do. You may be playing a roll in others lives that God wants you to play.