Friday, December 19, 2008

You'll shoot your eye out!

Yesterday at work I embarked on a couple of new duties that I am learning to do and found that I could really get into this job because of them. The people that I work with are disabled and part of our requirements to assist them financially up to a two year period is that they participate in applying and pursuing disability income. The program lasts for only 24 months and in that time it is my goal to help them either meet employment (based off their doctor's recommendations on what they can do) or to obtain SSDI and/or SSI. It is their job to participate in doing all that the policy requires of them on their part. They have to earn the assistance and work for it in many different ways.

Well when someone gets close to the end of their assistance there is a "Dire Need" letter that I write letting the Social Security Office of Adjudication and Review know that the customer could face homeless or lack of funds to help them treat their condition in turn making their situation worse. Another letter that I can create on behalf of the customer is called a "Medical Summary" report, this is quite a lengthy letter that is written showing almost a complete biography of the customer's life up to date focusing around where and why their disability all began in the first place and how it has taken so many things in their life away, including employment.

Well long story short, it occurred to me last night that I had no idea back when I was in college that the persuasive paper I had to write for English class would ever do me any good. I enjoyed writing it, in fact it was one assignment I worked hard on as I was determined to get that teacher persuaded by my point. I remember this vividly, it was like I was Ralphie, the kid in the movie Christmas Story. Like him, I wanted her to love the paper so much that it was like I envisioned the teacher falling in love with it and writing A+, A+, A+ in big red pencil all over it and even publishing it! And when it came back only as a B+, I was disappointed just like Ralphie was in the movie - only the teacher didn't say "You'll shoot your eye out" on it.

I do love to write when I am challenged with getting out what I want to say and to make what I have to say interesting. I was told by my English teacher in 8th grade that I ought to go into an honors class for my writing. I don't even remember what the paper was about that I wrote back then other than it was a creative piece and when she read it to the whole class, I was so embarrassed!

Recently I wrote up an nomination for co-worker for a regional customer service award. The person would receive a lovely plaque made out of crystal and $500 if their nomination one. Well mine took to vote and the lady I nominated was so astonished and truly surprised as was I. It was as if I had won that award myself! It was so exciting!

I know I am talented at writing, but I have much work to do. My problem when I write now is taking the time to read and make a final draft. I sometimes think I've put it all there but then realize that just cause it was in my brain doesn't mean I got it out as fast as I was thinking it. This has been an issue with blogging as I only have so much time to myself. However I have a feeling that Santa will finally be bringing me that laptop after all these years that I have been persuading him I need. Just maybe mind you.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I am always in too big a rush to do much proofreading. Good luck with that!