Saturday, May 01, 2010

More than just a souvenir...

So a funny story about this mug. Well not this mug here in the picture, but a mug identitical to it. As you can tell it is a souvenir from Sea World, but it is not the one that was handpicked off the shelf and traveled home with us after our recent vacation.

You see as Charlie and I were choosing souvenirs at the Sea World park he prompted me to get a mug, I commented yes that it was pretty but declined saying, "Ah we have too many mugs already." (I know, I am the one that has to find places for them in the cupboard!) So he replied that he would get it then as he really liked it. And being my cynical self I pictured it collecting dust in the cupboard at home just as he said that.

Some of my decision in this is was not just the fact that we have a lot of mugs already. It is an attitude I still struggle with in not having enough money most my life to afford to get souvenirs or other things that are "wanted" instead of "needed." So this was more the reason that made my determination to get a small snow globe instead. Something not overly large that I could keep at my desk at work, would not cost a lot of money, and was something we didn't already have.

Next morning at the resort where we were staying I was making his coffee in the mug. Low and behold I fell in love with it. It fit so perfectly in my hand. The look of it, the feel of it. The coffee even tasted better. I wanted it for me. When I told him that he was right, that I should have gotten a mug, he laughed and said, "I told you!" Ever since then when he catches me using it he still chuckles at me and I admit to him that he was right about the mug.

Well last week as I was doing dishes, the mug slipped from my hand and broke on the floor. As you all know he is living temporarily out of state right now so I felt so awful I had broke it and he hasn't even used it but a few times. If I hadn't of used it for myself while he was gone it wouldn't have needed washed which in turn wouldn't have gotten broken. And why this mug? I have washed my other mugs thousands of times in the past and never once dropped them!

I immediately panicked, stopped doing the dishes to search and search online to see if I could buy another to replace it. Not even e-Bay had them. I called Sea World, but being 8 pm at night they had already closed. I was devastated. You can imagine how relieved I was able to get in touch with them the next day and order another right over the phone.

The funny thing is though, I not only ordered one, but two mugs. And they arrived yesterday! Now I have my own! This will always be something we chuckle about together that will also add to the many memories of our vacation.

No comments: